Importing djb's public domain daemontools?

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Tue Jan 17 19:37:10 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

Thanks for chiming in.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Peter Wemm <peter at wemm.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org>
> wrote:
> > On 1/17/12 9:29 AM, Warner Losh wrote:
> >>
> >>  I have spent time with djb-ites in other areas. I tend to ignore
> >>  their ranker and focus on the technical issues. I've had issues with
> >>  pidfiles and such in the past. There are a lot of hacks to get around
> >>  those issues, and things mostly work. If there's a good alternative
> >>  that can be demonstrated to work and gain us additional
> >>  functionality, I'm all for it. I've fought with init() to make it
> >>  keep important daemons around should they die. I've worked with other
> >>  systems that make it easy to do and miss that on FreeBSD. It is
> >>  possible, but not easy. If daemontools makes it easy, we should
> >>  evaluate it.
> >

> > don't forget other alternatives..
> >
> > for example we have launchd from apple which is quite a well
> > tested entry in the "init" space of solutions.
>
> At the risk of prolonging the discussion..
>
> We use daemontools at work and I find it horrid to work with.  Really
> horrid.
>
> However, I do miss a real, pluggable services manager/starter/etc.
> launchd springs to mind, if only it wasn't .plist based.
>
> Linux seems to be standardizing on systemd (think of launchd except
> made to smell like linux software) as a replacement for everything
> including init (just like apple replaced init with launchd).
>
> There has got to be something better and less obnoxious than
> daemontools.  We don't need another file system abuser like that one.

I guess this is a matter of taste. I have automated deployments using
daemontools and found it to integrate quite well with tools like Puppet.

Apache and rsync can now run under it because I argued for it with patches.

But I agree with you otherwise. It doesn't have to be daemontools as long
as there's something which covers most of its functionality, including the
run/finish script stuff, and not having to deal with pidfiles.

Jos