Where should I put ar71xx_* modules?

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 9 13:48:27 UTC 2012

On Monday, January 09, 2012 4:04:14 am Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 9 January 2012 00:52, Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de> wrote:
> > We have lots of modules that have specific requirements; they're still
connected to the build.  What warrants different handling here?  You could put
them under .if ${MACHINE_CPUARCH} != "mips" like a number of them are already.

> Hm, I didn't want to add modules for a specific SoC that won't ever be
> built for any other platform. Eg, if someone does a XLR build, they
> shouldn't get ar71xx modules built.

Were you planning on including them in the ar71xx kernel configs via
MODULES_OVERRIDE or some such?  If so, that would be sufficient to get
'make tinderbox' to cover them at least (and hopefully tinderbox builds).
In that case I think it is fine to not have them hooked up in the main
sys/modules build.  Or rather, if Warner commits his KERNOPTS thing, perhaps
you could make sys/modules/Makefile include them on appropriate SoC kernels
only.

--
John Baldwin