[patch] allow crash dumps to Linux swap partitions

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 9 09:28:51 UTC 2012

On  9 Jan, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> On 1/9/2012 11:11 AM, Don Lewis wrote:
>> On  9 Jan, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>> .. doesn't linux swap have some metadata somewhere?
>>
>> Darned if I know, but it doesn't seem to care about FreeBSD swap data
>> overwriting its swap partition.
>
> Linux will not use the swap partition without the metadata. And
> these metadata are located to the start of the partition, that
> is, dumping core there will surely destroy them.

Don't we write the crash dump at the end of the partition?  I thought we
did this to make it less likely that we would overwrite the crash dump
by using swap before savecore had a chance to run.