Where should I put ar71xx_* modules?

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 8 23:42:21 UTC 2012

Hi,

In order to fit an lzma'd kernel in 892 kilobytes of flash (that's 892
* 1024 bytes), I've needed to break out a few things into modules.

I'd like to commit a couple of modules - for example,
ar71xx_ehci/ar71xx_ohci for USB stuff - but I don't want them built
for anything other than ar71xx builds. Thus I don't see the reason for
putting them in sys/modules/Makefile.

They build fine if they're included in MODULES_OVERRIDE in the
relevant kernel config file.

So is it ok to just commit some modules in sys/modules/ which aren't
in the Makefile, and instead include them in the relevant SoC kernel
configs so they're built? Or is there some other tradition for doing
this?

Thanks,

Adrian