Linux kernel compatability

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Thu Jan 6 14:20:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> Unfortunately it would create quite a lot of code churn as there are
> relatively few that are minorly different.  You can page through the wrapper
> code if you're interested.
>
> http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/projects/ofed/head/sys/ofed/include/linux/

One thing I am not too sure about is sys/ofed.  Given the entire
discussions it might well be better suited in sys/contrib/ofed under
the assumtion that the code is mostly maintained outside our tree and
we get in occational updates.

I hadn't quite liked the sys/cddl but given that we had sys/gnu as
well. And then there is sys/compat.

I wonder if you could still or maybe not make the shim layer something
like it's own .ko kind of like opensolaris.ko (you cannot name it
linux.ko though;)

I guess similarly things in user space might go to contrib as well?

Would you by any chance be able to generate a patch for all the sys/
and config etc. changes outside the ofed directory for prior review
by people?  I am just fearing that there might be bits for the
V_irtualization side etc to consider, as might be for others with
outstanding work.

Thanks,
/bz

         <ks> Going to jail sucks -- <bz> All my daemons like it!
   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/jails.html