Linux kernel compatability

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Jan 3 21:14:18 UTC 2011

In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1101031017110.1450 at desktop>, Jeff Roberson writes:

>I have seen that some attempt at similar wrappers has been made elsewhere.
>I wonder if instead of making each one tailored to individual components,
>which mostly seem to be filesystems so far, should we put this in a
>central place under compat somewhere?

My inflation devalued $0.02:

We should face our NIH syndrome and for those differences between
Linux and FreeBSD KPI which are purely a naming or trivial argument
difference, try to reduce the differences.

Those where there are substantial differences, we should only have
one compat layer, not one for each driver.