Official git export

Robert N. M. Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 27 09:57:03 UTC 2011

On 27 Aug 2011, at 01:43, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 08/26/2011 11:31, Gleb Kurtsou wrote:
>> Jonathan, could you update /Git wiki page with an example of git clone
>> specifying only head branch and how to add another branch later. That
>> would make local repository copy smaller, pull faster and
>> 'git branch -r' output much shorter.
>
> I would be more inclined to look at git if there were easily available
> instructions of this nature.
> Doug (thinking I'm representative of enough similarly-minded people to
> make saying it out loud worthwhile)

As with all revision control systems, there are lots of ways to use git. I think there's huge value in documenting an authoritative "recommended" way to use git with FreeBSD. Other very similar projects to ours do exactly this -- for example, LLVM:

  http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#git_mirror

And Chromium:

  http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/UsingGit

Note that Chromium even wraps it up in a script to ensure the details are done right, and has notes on issues with getting Subversion auto-props right, etc.

The above both look a fair amount like Jon's draft notes on our wiki, in fact :-).

Robert