FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

Vadim Goncharov vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
Wed Aug 24 22:30:24 UTC 2011

Hi Rick Macklem!

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:38:35 -0400 (EDT); Rick Macklem wrote about 'Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve':

> One thing I thought I'd bring up (since I haven't seen it
> mentioned yet) is Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. I haven't tried it,
> so I'm talking through my hat a bunch, but...

> It seems to me that FreeBSD should do what it can to support
> this effort. Why? Well, I suspect a lot of why organizations

No. FreeBSD has limited resources. We need to:

a) fix our own problems
b) develop our own unique features (see my message to Robert Watson)

And supporting Debian will mean wasting resources which could be spent
to these. This will effectively kill FreeBSD as a separate entity if
our problems will stay unfixed and get worse due to this.

Leave this work to Debian: they already have a wide community and many
resources. Any Linux distro has more resources than BSD because they just
only pack someone's software, and we have to also actually *develop* those
software (most of all, kernel and libc).

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
[Anti-Greenpeace][Sober FreeBSD zealot][http://nuclight.livejournal.com]