[resend] Re: RFC: New event timers infrastructure

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 9 09:56:51 UTC 2010

Cherry G. Mathew wrote:
> To summarise,
>
> My two concerns were:
> I)
>   a) If there is a non-optional device specific callback (like a timer
> isr) tied to specific timer on a vendor board
>   b) a "generic" non-device specific callback that uses the ET framework
> and acquires the timer in "a)" before the isr/callback in "a)" could
> obtain it.
>
> how can the API ensure that this scenario:
>
>   i) doesn't happen
>   or
>   ii) can be subsequently rectified

Using event timer (unlike time counter) most likely means programming
it. Without enough complicated midlayer two consumers won't be able to
use single timer, unless it ticks at fixed frequency and doesn't allow
any programming. For this reason I wasn't expecting any sharing. We
could extend API to allow shared event timer usage, but in that case
only one consumer should control it, while all other's just receive
these events and trust that timer programmed as they expect. At this
moment I don't see practical reason where such functionality would be
needed. Do you have some?

> AND
> II)
> Did the api need to be fleshed out separately of timertc.h ?

API is in stage of development and was changes few times since
originally created. May be some ideas, like yours, could affect it again.

--
Alexander Motin