Extending sbufs with a drain

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Sep 8 18:19:49 UTC 2010

In message <AANLkTikWhLUHMsY0iT7d1F27TUtx-xHQd5ZmzZhKBmGf at mail.gmail.com>, mdf@
FreeBSD.org writes:

>> But I will always have this nagging doubt that we just added yet
>> another deadbeat extension, rather than actually solve the
>> actual problem.
>
>So just to clarify, what do you consider the actual problem?

As I said: That we have worked around the problem rather than
fixing it properly.

I did a prototype somewhat along the lines of what you have done
but abandonned it, because we would loose the printf argument
checking that GCC provides.  (See also the extensible userland
printf I did).

My main objection to your patches is that you exposes internals
of sbufs for no good reason, if you fix that, along the lines we
have discussed, I won't have that objection.

Poul-Henning