[resend] Re: RFC: New event timers infrastructure

Cherry G. Mathew cherry at zyx.in
Tue Sep 7 15:02:59 UTC 2010

Dear Alexander,

On 6/6/2010 10:02 PM, Alexander Motin wrote:

> I did such things:
>   - created unified timer driver's API (sys/timeet.h, kernel/kern_et.c).
> It supports global and per-CPU timers, periodic and one-shot. Provides
> driver and consumer interfaces for choosing timers and operating them;

[...]

> Latest patches can be found here:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/et.20100606.patch

[...]

> Feedback is very appreciated.

Had you considered integrating this api with sys/timetc.h ? Most timer
devices which can interrupt after a certain period of time, can also
provide counters, I would imagine ?

I'd be keen to know your thoughts on providing the ability of et
consumers to daisy chain to a single eventtimer.

It would be good for et_find() to query for timers that can guarantee a
specific resolution/period or below/above.

Finally, I'm curious to know what et_quality implies ? Perhaps it can be
an indication of the max/min resolution/period available from a given et ?

Many Thanks,

--
cherry

PS: please Cc: me too - I'm not on-list.