CTF patch for testing/review

Tue Mar 30 12:38:36 UTC 2010

Quoting Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn at freenet.de> (from Sat, 27 Mar
2010 10:18:46 +0100):

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:23:44 -0600 (MDT)
> "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
>> In message: <20100326171241.16524bklcroedou8 at webmail.leidinger.net>
>>             Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> writes:
> [entry in build(7)]
>> : I will have a look at it next week. As I'm not a native english
>> : speaker, you can expect another patch for review (text suggestions for
>> : build.9 are welcome, I will take care about the mdoc markup then).
>>

> Note, it's build(7), not build(9).  At least, I find no build(9) on
> my -current system installed two days ago.
>
>> How does this text look (posted so everybody can kibitz):
>>
>> WITH_CTF	the build process will run the DTrace CTF conversion
>> 		tools on built objects.  Please note that this WITH_
>> 		option is handled differently than all other WITH_
>> 		options (there's no WITHOUT_CTF, or corresponding
>                      ==> there is - no contractions, please
>> 		MK_CTF in the build system).
>>

> Otherwise it looks OK to me.

http://www.leidinger.net/test/ctf4.diff

Changes to previous one:
  - added @ to hide the CTF stuff
  - man-page (to test: "groff -mdoc -Tascii /path/to/build.7 | less")

Someone with mdoc-fu should have a look if I got it right, the others
please have a look if the place in the man-page pleases you.

The changed commit log would be:
---snip---
WITH_CTF can now be specified in src.conf (not recommended, there
are some problems with static executables), make.conf (would also
affect ports which do not use GNU make and do not override the
compile targets) or in the kernel config (via "makeoptions
WITH_CTF=yes").

Additional (related) changes:
  - propagate WITH_CTF to module builds
  - do not add -g to the linker flags, it's a noop there anyway
    (at least according to the man page of ld)
  - do not add -g to CFLAGS unconditionally
    we need to have a look if it is really needed (IMO not) or if there
    is a way to add it only when WITH_CTF is used

Note: ctfconvert / ctfmerge lines will not appear in the build output,
to protect the innocent (those which do not build with WITH_CTF would
see the shell-test and may think WITH_CTF is used).

Reviewed by:    imp, jhb, scottl (earlier version)
Discussed on:   arch@
---snip---

What about Friday morning (GMT+2) for a commit date (if nobody
complains): not long enough for review or is it OK?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
		-- John Muir