touch panel support

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 26 21:55:24 UTC 2010

  Hello,

  I've got a display with touch panel, and I'd like to get in working
in FreeBSD. The touch panel is supported by NetBSD's uep(4). So far,
I have written uep(4) for FreeBSD, that successfully reads and parses
data from the USB touch panel device.

  And then I've got a problem. Our mouse subsystem is not ready for
touch panels. Our mouse(4) protocol does not support mouse driver
passing _absolute_ coordinates to the mouse(4) subsystem. It only
expects a relative movement of the mouse.  But _absolute_ coordinates
are principal idea of any touch panel.

  The lesser problem is lack of generic support for touch panel
calibration.

  Both of these problems are solved in NetBSD. They've got a wsmux(4)
device, just like our kbdmux(4), but for mice. This mouse multiplexer
can also understand absolute coordinates from underlying mice drivers.
NetBSD also has a generic support for calibration of touch panels.

  What is the FreeBSD future way to go: port things for NetBSD? Write
something different?

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.