CTF patch for testing/review

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 26 13:37:48 UTC 2010

On Friday 26 March 2010 5:15:24 am Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> (from Thu, 25 Mar 2010
> 07:37:36 -0600 (MDT)):
>
> > In general, I think this is OK.  I'd like to see the revised patch
> > before it is committed.
>
> And here it is:
>    http://www.Leidinger.net/test/ctf3.diff
>
> My commit log would be something like this:
> ---snip---
> WITH_CTF can now be specified in src.conf (not recommended, there
> are some problems with static executables), make.conf (would also
> affect ports which do not use GNU make and do not override the
> compile targets) or in the kernel config (via "makeoptions
> WITH_CTF=yes").
>
> Additional (related) changes:
>   - propagate WITH_CTF to module builds
>   - do not add -g to the linker flags, it's a noop there anyway
>     (at least according to the man page of ld)
>   - do not add -g yo CFLAGS unconditionally
>     we need to have a look if it is really needed (IMO not) or if there
>     is a way to add it only when WITH_CTF is used
>
> Note: don't worry when you see ctfconvert lines appearing in your build,
> they are protected with a shell conditional and are not run as long as
> you don't have WITH_CTF defined.

Hmm, perhaps put an @ on the CTF* lines for now to remove them from make
output since they are just noise in the common case?  I expect at some point
in the future that we will end up reverting this commit once we have working
userland dtrace and will store CTF symbols in everything by default at which
point the '@' can be removed, but until then I think the extra noise outways
the gain.

--
John Baldwin