Let's adopt a standard nomenclature for webs of patch trees etc.

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Sun Dec 26 21:11:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 09:42:29PM +0100, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
> On Sun, 26.12.2010 at 18:28:20 +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Was	 Subject: Re: Schedule for releases
> > I changed it, as my reply takes it too far off that topic.
> >
> > Erik Cederstrand wrote:
> > > Hi Mike,

> > > Thanks for taking the time to write your comments. What strikes me is =
> > > that we may have lots of non-FreeBSD developers working to backport =
> > > stuff in their own private trees. Possibly a lot of redundant work is =
> > > being done.
> > >
> > > Even though you're backporting to a specific release, and even though =
> > > you're only testing the work via your own software, would it not help =
> > > others and possibly even yourself if this FreeBSD-specific work lands in =
> > > the FreeBSD repository instead of your private tree? In my view you're =
> > > just as much a FreeBSD developer as people with commit access that are =
> > > scratching their own itches in CURRENT.
> > >
> > > Erik=
> >
> > Good point, Probably loads of fixes from non commiters never get
> > sent back to FreeBSD.  Many people will have motivation only to fix local
> > problems, but no time to send back, especially deterred by clunky send-pr.
> >
> > 	Though I & many others have sent lots of send-pr,
> > 	contributing even a spelling correction to FreeBSD
> > 	is much harder than to eg http://wikipedia.org
> >
> > 	+ a beginner has to bend their brain to send-pr
> >
> > 	+ send-pr user should not be burdened exploring tree to find
> > 		Maintainer to send-pr CC (which should be automaticly
> > 		extracted from tree on a ports =MAINTAINER basis
> > 		or eg a src/ .MAINTAINER per some sub directories
> > 		where there is a volunteer or mail list)
> >
> > 	+ send-pr user must spend time composing a
> > 		diplomatic & attractive subject & body, to catch
> > 		some gnats@ readers eye, to get them to stop browsing
> > 		get interested, & commit.
> >
> > 	Many a potential contributor's attitude will be: I don't
> > 	have time: Catch the diff or drop it, your loss !
> >
> > So a lot of potential send-pr won't get filed, but I bet local users
> > don't toss their fixes though, but keep local patch kits, till if
> > ever they or others send-pr & something gets commited, (which might
> > be days or years later).
> >
> > 	Those diff trees stored localy, users could easily export via
> > 	rdist/rsync etc to their local webs, eg I do this:
> > 		My diffs in a tree structure
> > 			http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD
> > 		My application script
> > 			http://berklix.com/~jhs/bin/.csh/customise
> >
> > 	Those trees, FreeBSD could encourage users to keep in a standard
> > 	format (path nomenclature etc)  & we should reccomend,
> > 	indexed from a common page on eg wiki.freebsd.org
> >
> > 	It would make a search tool &/or automatic periodic indexing
> > 	for possible diffs so much better than any general purpose
> > 	search engine.
> >
> > 	Index of uncommited patches ready for test, would be ideal
> > 	for those currently stuck, & would assist more motivated
> > 	testers corroborating good patches worth commiting.

> [...]

I have to admit that this crossed my mind as soon as I read Julian's
e-mail, especially as I've been keeping my local FreeBSD patches in
a version-controlled tree for the past ten years - first CVS, then
Subversion, and recently Git.

Now, is there a reason we couldn't just use Gitorious? :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at space.bg    roam at ringlet.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
If the meanings of 'true' and 'false' were switched, then this sentence wouldn't be false.