Trimming the default /boot/device.hints

Rink Springer rink at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 26 07:31:40 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:47:32AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> If we wanted, we could go further and assume that all machines have either
> PnPBIOS or ACPI and remove most of the other hints as well.  We already sort
> of assume that on amd64 (which has no atrtc0 hints, but still has hints for
> fdc0, ppc0, and some other devices).
>
> Here is the proposed diff:

This diff makes sense to me - besides, it's always possible to enter the
hints at the loader prompt if desired to get a device to work and adding
that to a local loader.conf later; I don't think these defaults are
worth the clutter since almost nobody probably has these devices
anyway...

Regards,

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu