stress2 is now in projects

Peter Holm pho at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 18 06:09:27 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 03:28:19PM +0200, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 02:10:28PM +0100, Peter Holm wrote:
> > >
> > > In other words, it's non-deterministic and non-reproducable.
> > >

> > Yes, by design.
> >
> > > You should at the very least allow the user to specify the random seed.
> > >

> > Yes, it would be interesting to see if this is enough to reproduce a
> > problem in a deterministic way. I'll look into this.
>
> I shall state from my experience using it (or, rather, inspecting bug
> reports generated by stress2), that in fact it is quite repeatable.
> I.e., when  looking into one area, you almost always get _that_ problem,
> together with 2-3 related issues.
>
> Due to the nature of the tests and kernel undeterministic operations,
> I think that use of the same random seed gains nothing in regard with
> repeatability of the tests.

It is an old issue that has come up many times: It would be so great
if it was possible to some how record the exact sequence that lead up
to a panic and play it back.

But on the other hand, as you say, it *is* repeatable. The only
issue is that it may take 5 minutes or 5 hours.

But I'm still game to see if it is possible at all (in single user
mode with no network activity etc.)

- Peter