Quick hack to make fast kernel builds easier

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 12 10:13:57 PST 2009

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, David Schultz wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009, Ed Schouten wrote:
>> I often just run `make' in /usr/obj/...,
>> which also saves some typing, but unfortunately that doesn't work
>> when cross compiling.
>
> Also, as far as I know, there's no convenient way to rebuild a single
> module for another architecture. I use the following script called
> 'arch' to set the appropriate environment variables, so if I've
> already run 'make universe' and I want to rebuild libc for sparc64, I
> say:
>
>   cd /usr/src/lib/libc && arch sparc64 make
>
> It would be nice if there were a better mechanism for this that's
> integrated into the build system.

*snip shell script*

When I am building or installing a kernel and/or world, I use a shell
script[1] I wrote awhile back.  It could be better ("automatic" option
probably does not work and should be removed), but it makes building and
installing easier for me.

I wonder how many build scripts have been written over the years.

Sean
   1. http://www.farley.org/freebsd/fbinst.sh
--
scf at FreeBSD.org