RFC: adding > and >= to /usr/bin/make conditionals ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Tue Jan 6 04:25:04 PST 2009

[not sure what is the proper forum for discussing this...]

I recently realised (and documented in the manpage) that /usr/bin/make
only implements == and != when comparing strings in coditionals,
yet it would be totally trivial to add support for > >= < <= as
well, because the underlying code already uses strcmp(), and
according to Harti (message attached below) there are no restrictions
from the standards point of view.

There is some value in having this feature, e.g. when comparing
package names to find out which one is more recent, etc.;
on the other hand, if we add (and start using) this feature,
our Makefiles might become harder to reuse on other platforms
(e.g. other BSDs, OSX ports) which use the same 'make' program.

So, I am polling to see if there is any consensus for or against
adding this feature to /usr/bin/make

	cheers
	luigi

[excerpt from Harti's message explaining the relation with standards]