network statistics in SMP

Harti Brandt hartmut.brandt at dlr.de
Tue Dec 15 01:50:14 PST 2009

Hi all,

I'm working on our network statistics (in the context of SNMP) and wonder,
to what extend we want them to be correct. I've re-read part of the past
discussions about 64-bit counters on 32-bit archs and got the impression,
that there are users that would like to have almost correct statistics
(for accounting, for example). If this is the case I wonder whether the
way we do the statistics today is correct.

Basically all statistics are incremented or added to simply by a += b oder
a++. As I understand, this worked fine in the old days, where you had
spl*() calls at the right places. Nowadays when everything is SMP
shouldn't we use at least atomic operations for this? Also I read that on
architectures where cache coherency is not implemented in hardware even
this does not help (I found a mail from jhb why for the mutex
implementation this is not a problem, but I don't understand what to do
for the += and ++ operations). I failed to find a way, though, to
influence the caching policy (is there a function one can call to
change the policy?).

Any opinions?
harti