Do we still need ATA disk CHS addressing?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Mon Aug 10 18:38:18 UTC 2009

"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com> writes:
> Alexander Motin <mav at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > Have anybody seen ATA drive without LBA support in last years?
> Yes

Have you really, or did you just assume that "old" means "no LBA"?

> I run 20+ assorted hosts from 4.11 to 7.2 Uni & Dual proc, i386 (real 386!)
> to 686 & amd64 so I guess I'm
>   A) Pretty vulnerable to legacy scare.
>   B) A litmus tesst for a wider community of others, some  with older kit,
>      not on lists or with bleeding edge latest hardware, but will
>      get hit when stuff eg HCS gets declared legacy=dumped.

Do you seriously intend to run FreeBSD 9 on kit that is too old to
support LBA?  We're talking early nineties here.  CHS doesn't scale past
504 MB, so any ATA disk larger than that must peforce support LBA.  I
bought my first 1 GB drive (Connor CFP1080) in 1995.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no