dynamic update of usb/pci/quirks tables

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Sun Sep 28 22:31:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 04:19:05PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20080928213640.GA55310 at onelab2.iet.unipi.it>
>             Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at iet.unipi.it> writes:
> : This said, the kldsym/kmem based approach has the advantage that
> : it can be implemented as a port (if you forget the /boot/loader support)
> : and be used on a pre-existing system without having to rebuild kernels
> : or modules. Some times this can be useful.
>
> I doubt that this is a good selling point.  It is rare that you add
> new hardware to a system that's already running that's compatible with

with umass devices (including cameras phones and
mp3 players) it happens all the time, and those you can connect
to many single board computers these days. Same with several
scanners and usb-serial adapters.

> : I am open to all solutions that can make FreeBSD more compatible
> : with external hardware. It will be great if we can implement your
> : mapping idea. It will be great if there is a better way of handling
> : quirks tables.
>
> Let's pursue both ideas.  I'll implement it for usb, pci, pc card and
> cardbus and we'll see where it goes.

ok good -- no rush, i was just trying to figure out how to address
the problem, after being hit two more times last week!

cheers
luigi