64 bit time_t

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Sep 17 15:43:10 UTC 2008

In message <18641.9074.499346.988999 at gromit.timing.com>, John Hein writes:

>So for systems where we don't care about compatibility (where a
>product is built from scratch and we don't have to worry about 3rd
>party binary libs/programs), the problems mentioned by brooks & phk
>disappear.
>
>No one wants to play the performance or atomic access card?

I know of only the kernel variable "time_second" where that would be
a concern, and since we have 64bit atomic writes, I consider that
a non-concern.

At any rate, even if you write it with two 32bit writes, you will
only have one chance for a race every 136 years.

Next time you have the chance is:

critter phk> bc
bc 1.06
Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details type `warranty'.
2^31-1
2147483647
critter phk> date -r 2147483647