64 bit time_t

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 16 21:15:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 02:17:16PM -0600, John Hein wrote:
> Other than recompiling for -current users (and not being an MFC-able
> change and possibly breaking a gazillion unfortunately written ports),
> are their any other issues with switching to 64 bit time_t for i386?
> I suppose compat libs are a bit dicey.

Off hand: every syscall that takes a time_t or a structure containing
a time_t would have to be reimplemented and a compatability version
provided in the old location.  The same would be true of every similar
function in the libc symbol map.  A number of ioctl's and sysctl would
probably need to grow compatability interfaces as well.

-- Brooks