the more build knobs bikeshed

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Tue Sep 16 17:54:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <48CF1979.90507 at errno.com>, Sam Leffler writes:
>> Here is a patch against HEAD to add several knew MK_* knobs that can be
>> used to trim the build for small-footprint applications:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/~sam/build.patch
>
> Looks good.
>
> You should probably check if the periodic scripts get unhappy if
> there is no locate binary.

I have always ignored periodic failures with my minimalized builds as
I usually do not expect to run any/much periodic scripts anyway not
that anyone would get the mails without MAIL, ...
Things like ipfw, ipstat, purgestat, ... are just complaining but
things still work (even on those where I have replaced mail with
something else(tm)). Never had any problems.
Otherwise a customer /etc/periodic.conf.local can always fix things
for each individual setup.

The patch looks good to me. I wonder if we, at one point want to
supergroup for example APM + ACPI and add zzz and powerd and have a
MK_POWERMGMT, etc. like MK_MAIL, etc. but those things, for sure,
can be refined incrementally.

You said you had the descriptions for src.conf already? Put this into
HEAD and other people might tune more.

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb              Stop bit received. Insert coin for new game.