cdcontrol purpose

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Tue Jan 15 01:29:50 PST 2008

on 14/01/2008 23:40 Kris Kennaway said the following:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> * Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> [080114 09:18] wrote:
>>> Sorry, I am not completely sure which question you answered with that,
>>> damn alternative questions :-)
>>>
>> Regarding:

>> It should not do this.  It should NOT eject a disk in use.
>>
>> Furthermore:

> When I tried this last it indeed did not eject a mounted CDROM.  I
> wonder if Andriy's hardware is not responding to the "lock media"
> command or something.  Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

Kris,

as I reported in this posting:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=457200+0+archive/2007/freebsd-stable/20071223.freebsd-stable

the behavior differs for SCSI and ATAPI devices, with the latter some
checks within the driver forbid 'eject' command, but do not forbid
'allow'. So, while you can not eject a disk with cdcontrol alone,
drive's tray becomes unlocked and now you can do it with a physical
button. This is even weirder behavior than what happens with SCSI.

--
Andriy Gapon