Code review

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 26 18:02:53 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 03:23:57 am M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <200808251037.11126.jhb at freebsd.org>
>             John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> writes:
> : On Monday 25 August 2008 02:23:16 am M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : > I did this a few years ago when trying to track down a problem with
> : > some realtek network chips that I was having problems with at Timing
> : > Solutions.  I'd like to get this into the tree, since it was helpful
> : > then.
> : >
> : > Comments?
> :
> : When you are running a faster tick I think want to only call the mii and
> : watchdog stuff once a second still.  I know this will break the tx
watchdog
> : for example.  Since it's kind of tricky to manage that I think you should
> : just use a separate timer for the twister stuff.
>
> Is this in general, or do you have a specific problem in mind with the
> rl change?  In general, we're not transmitting during this exercise
> and it happens only once...  Is it worth the extra hair?

Worried more about the general case.  Is mii_tick() going to be ok with being
invoked more often?

Also, if you are only doing this during attach or interface up, it might be
simpler to have a private timer (shoot, if it's during attach the 'struct
callout' can be on the stack) just for this bit.

--
John Baldwin