Magic symlinks redux

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 12:25:21 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 10:22:19AM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Garance A Drosehn wrote:
>
> >I like the idea of having some of these mostly-static values,
> >although (as you note), we should to think about how these might
> >be effected within jails.  I have jails (really chroot areas)
> >which have different @osreleases than the running kernel, for
> >instance.
>
> This last case would be problematic since symlinks are resolved in
> kernel and the kernel can't really see the different userland releases.
> 64-bit call vs 32-bit is ok.

Not exactly true. There is p_osrel member of struct proc, that may be
interpreted as osrelease where binary where intended to run. At least,
it reflects the crt1.o origin.

I am not sure whether such dynamic data naturally maps into varsyms
concept. At least, some fallback shall be provided for "other" values
of osrel.

The fact that Solaris and Linux do not provide variant symlinks may be
explained by keyword support in their rtld.