Magic symlinks redux

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Aug 22 00:32:30 UTC 2008

I was reading about new things in NetBSD, and one thing caught my
attention: per-user /tmp. See
http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/bx/blosxom.cgi/nb_20080714_0251.html for
example.

Google says that a discussion about magic symlinks happens every now and
then in FreeBSD but nothing really gets done. I found this
implementation which looks like it's for 7.0:

http://butcher.heavennet.ru/patches/kernel/magiclinks/

As far as I understand the VFS (which isn't much...) this looks like an
trivial patch, and it's compatible with NetBSD. Since I'm interested in
this (specifically for the per-user /tmp and maybe similar gadgetry),
I'd like to nurse this patch into the tree, if there are no objections
(of course, I'll bug anyone I can find who knows VFS to review it :) ).