tilt/horizontal scroll support

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Aug 15 13:05:19 UTC 2008

on 13/08/2008 19:29 Rui Paulo said the following:

> Well, perhaps the best way is to teach sysmouse about horizontal scrolling
> and then add a quirk WRT your mouse ?
>
> sysmouse(4) really needs to grow horizontal scrolling since nowadays every
> mouse has it.

Rui,

I agree, this would be a perfect solution.
What scares me is backward compatibility. I think that I do not
understand how to do it right. So that older userland software works
with newer kernels and newer userland works with older kernels.
As I understand there are interfaces of hardware mouse drivers, then
there is moused, then there is sysmouse interface and then there are
user applications like X server.
Knowledge of horizontal scrolling needs to be added to all components in
the chain and it is better be done in backward-compatible fashion.
And I really do not know to do this properly.
Would it be just adding some new bytes to the protocol or growing a new
protocol (level) or something else...

P.S. I replaced usb ml with arch@ in cc.

--
Andriy Gapon