Integration of ProPolice in FreeBSD

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Sat Apr 19 15:56:50 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 09:46:38AM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 05:15:55PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:47:38PM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> > >
> > > Certainly.  I would like to hear opinion from other committers if SSP
> > > should be enabled by default.
> >
> > I'm not a committer, but I'll ask a question anyway.
> >
> > Can you quantify the performance impact, in particular for
> > numerically intensive codes with heavy use of libm?
>
> I don't run such application, so I can't answer.  Sorry.  If you are
> willing to give a try, I would be pleased to help you to run your tests,
> or even run them on my side.
>
> BTW for the sake of my curiosity, is there a technical reason for
> ProPolice to be heavier for libm?

Most numerical applications, that I'm familiar with, tend
to contain nested loops that make calls to functions in
libm.  Simple example in one of my codes is a 3 deep loop
that computes what is known as the thermal dose.

    for (k = 0; k < kmax; k++)
        for (j = 0; j < jmax; j++)
            for (i = 0; i < imax; i++)
                td += exp(a * b[k][j][i])

Now, put the above loops inside a time loop with n time steps.
exp() will be called kmax*jmax*imax*n times where this product
can be quite large (order of 5e11).  Any overhead caused by PP
will increase the simulation time.  A 1% increase in time is
probably tolerable, but a 10% increase would be detrimental to
simulations that takes days to complete (yes, I have a few that
run that long).

I'll see if I can get you some numbers this weekend.

--
Steve