Integration of ProPolice in FreeBSD

Garance A Drosehn gad at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 19 00:45:16 UTC 2008

At 6:58 PM +0200 4/18/08, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
>Hi Marcel,
>
>On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 08:52:42AM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>>  > The build infrastructure overlord, namely ru@, (I'm quoting kan@) has
>>  > reviewed the patch and technically it is ready to hit the CVS tree.
>>  >
>>  > A few things should be discussed beforehand though.
>>  >
>>  > First, should we build world and/or kernel with SSP by default?
>>
>>   Really, first is: what platforms does this apply to and/or have
>>   you tested this on?
>
>The patch enables SSP for all archs.  Unfortunately I've not been able
>to test it myself on other arch than i386, but two years ago I've got a
>successful feedback from Pascal Hofstee on amd64.  ISTR there was a
>sparc64 user too, but I'm not sure.

I have run it on FreeBD/PowerPC for a short time.  Seemed to work fine,
but I had this installed on a set of partitions which have sense been
erased.  They were not erased due to problems with Propolice, but just
because I wanted them for some other purpose, and I wasn't really to
commit to always having propolice turned on.

I *think* I also had a build of FreeBSD/sparc64 with this turned on,
but again it was just a test system which has since been overwritten.
(actually I've upgraded to a newer, slightly faster sparc64 machine,
and lost my propolice build while making that upgrade).

The only reason I did the above is because I had a friend who wanted
to move from OpenBSD to FreeBSD, and really wanted Propolice as a
working option on his machines.  After I showed that it did work, he
built freebsd with propolice on both i386 and amd64 platforms.  But
in his case he screwed up the first time he cvsup'ed those systems,
just because the cvsup clobbered some of the local changes he had
made for propolice.  So he ended up deciding it was safer for him to
skip propolice for now, until it's all part of the base FreeBSD system.

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn at rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org