sensors fun..

Thu Oct 18 04:41:07 PDT 2007

Quoting John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> (from Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:45:36 -0400):

Without commenting on specific parts of what you wrote, I think we
need to clarify something before we proceed.

> Other things that might be nice:
>
> - IWBN to have a userland interface to sensors.  For example, if nothing else

Here's what I wrote to Julian (with minor modifications) this morning,
before I've seen your mail here on arch.

I see several levels of stuff which can be named "sensors framework" here.

One level is in the kernel. It's just an export interface to transfer
status data from the kernel to userland. The goal of this framework is
IMO to "collect" all this data in the kernel and provide a single
point of contact for the userland to query this in-kernel data. That's
what the soc project was about. Let's call this kernel sensors
framework here.

Then there's something in the userland, what can also be named
"sensors framework". This part would be responsible to be a single
point of contact to query the status data of the entire system. This
userland part would be responsible to collect data which is exported
from the kernel, and to collect data from userland stuff. It would
provide an interface to be able to query the in-machine data (some
people may say SNMP can be used for this). Let's call this
single-system sensors framework here.

And then there's something in the network what can be named "sensors
framework". This part would be responsible to collect sensor data in
the entire (sub-)network and provide an interface to query the data
from the entire (sub-)network (an example can be nagios or some
commercial offering). Let's call this group-level sensors framework
for now.

The term "sensor data" may by ambiguous too. When I talk about sensor
data, this can be some data from a device, like
temperature/voltage/humidity/tv channel/ rotation speed/pressure
level/fill level/coordinates/whatever (what we want to include of this
stuff or not I don't talk about, e.g., ATM I don't see a need to
provide the TV channel via the sensors framework). Sensor data can
also be the status of a subsystem in the kernel, some database related
things in userland, the hitrate per second of a webserver, or whatever.

All (more or less) of those things may in the end need to arrive in
the group-level sensors framework. Before they arrive there, they
ideally arrive in the single-system sensors framework (reduces probing
complexity and the amount of work of the person who has to configure
the group-level sensors framework). And parts of this stuff was
collected from the kernel sensors framework by the single-system
sensors framework.

The group-level sensors framework doesn't belong into FreeBSD IMO. For
the single-system sensors framework I have no strong opinion (and with
bsnmp we may have some sort of this already which just needs to be a
little bit extend (MIBs), but this depends upon your needs and
expectations).

What I would like to know is where you see problems with the above
description and how your proposal fits into this description (if you
don't see major flaws in the description).

To me it looks like your proposal spans more than one of the above
described layers in one package. It seems you describe what I call
single-system sensors framework above. It looks like you want to have
this with parts of it in the kernel. I don't think this is a good idea
as I don't think userland data should be feed into the kernel. Could
you please describe where you see benefits of your architecture
compared to the description I provided above?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
BOFH excuse #266: