kernel level virtualisation requirements.

Nikolay Pavlov qpadla at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 00:47:00 PDT 2007

On Friday 12 October 2007 22:54:04 James Gritton wrote:
> Julian Elischer wrote:
>  > What I'd like to see is a bit of a 'a-la-carte' virtualisation
>  > ability.

>  > My question to you, the reader, is:
>  > what aspects of virtualisation (the appearance of multiple instances
>  > of some resource) would you like to see in the system?
>
> Of course everything jail has now, and all the network bits that vimage
> offers.
>
> CPU scheduling, in particular schedule the CPU first by jail, and then
> by processes within jail.

This is absolutely "MUST HAVE" feature i think.

> Filesystem quotas, without the need for each jail to have its own mount
> point.

Strange, but IMHO it would be better slightly revert this statement:
Filesystem quotas _with_ the need for each jail to have it's own mount
point, but with out the need to maintain them in fstab (Like it is in
ZFS). Because you gain the ability to maintain jails in a filesystem
level(snapshots, cloning, dump, restore and so on).

- Best regards, Nikolay Pavlov. <<<-----------------------------------