Removal of /etc/skel, your opinions please

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 29 23:27:16 PST 2007

On Thu, November 29, 2007 4:24 pm, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 10:21:06PM +0100, Remko Lodder wrote:
>>
>> Dear arch@ members,
>>
>> I would like to remove /etc/skel from the BSD.root.dist mtree file
>> since it is no longer being used and I would like to remove unused
>> items.
>>
>> I understood from a PR  (46062) that there are no references to this
>> directory any longer. There is a proposal to symlink this; but I dont
>> want to keep this alive at all where possible..
>>
>> Does anyone have objections to this change? If so, please let me know
>> why you have these objections so that I can take them into account.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your time!
>
> After reading this I did some searching and was rather surprised to
> discover that adduser(8) points pw at /usr/share/skel by default.
> I've always thought of /etc/skel as the default location for skel
> files.  It's true we're not populating /etc/skel by default, but
> /usr/share/skel isn't actually usable in production since it's
> overwritten by installworld.
>
> I don't see any value in removing the directory from mtree.
>
> -- Brooks

Hello Brooks,

First of all thanks for your answer as well, I think the same applies here
as I replied to Alexander, is that we should in that case fill /etc/skel
with the distribution found in /usr/share/skel (or directly to reduce
possible overhead in having it in two directories); if we are not going to
persue that I dont see much points in keeping an empty directory?

Cheers
remko

--
/"\   Best regards,                      | remko at FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko at EFnet