Removal of /etc/skel, your opinions please

Thu Nov 29 01:49:51 PST 2007

Quoting Remko Lodder <remko at FreeBSD.org> (from Wed, 28 Nov 2007
22:21:06 +0100):

> Dear arch@ members,
>
> I would like to remove /etc/skel from the BSD.root.dist mtree file
> since it is no longer being used and I would like to remove unused
> items.
>
> I understood from a PR  (46062) that there are no references to this
> directory any longer. There is a proposal to symlink this; but I dont
> want to keep this alive at all where possible..
>
> Does anyone have objections to this change? If so, please let me know
> why you have these objections so that I can take them into account.

Not an objection, just something to think about: Do we want to
deprecate the use of "adduser -k /etc/skel"? I know you said you just
want to remove the directory, and every admin is allowed to create it
again, but by removing the directory from the mtree file, we give a
signal into the direction of deprecation.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
I have discovered the art of deceiving diplomats.
I tell them the truth and they never believe me.