sensors framework continued (architecture)

Mon Nov 26 06:00:42 PST 2007

Quoting Henrik Brix Andersen <brix at FreeBSD.org> (from Mon, 26 Nov 2007
13:44:39 +0100):

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 02:34:40PM +0200, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
>> Just want to mention that Linux lm-sensors 3.0.0 was released today.
>> A few notes that could be interesting for us:
>> ============= Quote ===============
>> * It is now a user-space-only package, it no longer contains kernel
>>   drivers.
>> * The i2c tools have been moved to a separate package (surprisingly
>>   named i2c-tools).
>> * libsensors' internal version was bumped to 4.0.0, as it has a
>>   completely new API we had to increase the .so version. This new
>>   library contains no chip-specific knowledge, it assumes that hardware
>>   monitoring drivers follow the standard sysfs interface. A very nice
>>   benefit of this is that the size of the library has been divided by
>>   4 (down from 222 kB to 55 kB on i386).
>> * Some kernel drivers still don't implement the standard interface
>>   for alarms, so alarm flags won't show.
>> ============= Quote ===============
>>
>> So as you can see it's fully userspace non chip-specific library, based on
>> sysfs interface.
>
> And it has been for quite a while, unless you compiled it on an old
> Linux kernel (e.g. 2.4.x), which didn't have the required drivers.

You are talking mostly about the userland part (the lib) which we
haven't discussed in this thread.

What we discuss in this thread is the kernel<->userland interface. You
wrote that Linux uses sysfs as the kernel<->userland interface. Poul
proposes the /dev/sensors special file (not directory) as the
kernel<->userland interface, and I propose sysctl as the
kernel<->userland interface.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Joe's sister puts spaghetti in her shoes!