sensors framework continued (architecture)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Nov 16 12:17:14 PST 2007

In message <20071116205918.0e9d5819 at deskjail>, Alexander Leidinger writes:

>> High-level architectural view of sensor support
>>
>>     N * application (linked -lsensor)
>> 	1 * sensord ---- N * userland-sensors (linked -lsensor)
>> 	1 * sensor multiplex device driver
>> 	 N * kernel sensors
>>
>> (There may also be a connection from the multiplex driver to devd(8)
>> or it may be from sensord(8) or possibly both, but that could come
>> later.)
>
>So you deny the people which participated in the beginning to voice
>their opinion about this and want to force this architecture upon them
>(your mails sounds like this)?

I'm not forcing any architecture, FreeBSD is no single mans project
and neither I, nor anybody else has veto power over our architecture
or direction.

Neither am I denying anybody any voice or chance to argue, but after
a certain amount of, IMO pretty pointless, argument, I may tire of
them.

Instead of wasting more time on these endless emails, which in my
opinion has not moved anywhere since they began, I have simply
boiled my requirements down to the core in the above diagram.

You're free to try to sell any different architecture to me and the
rest of the project.

If you come up with something better, I will support it, if you
come up with something worse, I'll put a every hole in its archtecture
that my cross-hairs can be fixed on.

If you go with the above architecture, you will have answered most,
if not all critism that has been leveraged against the half-baked
code imported from OpenBSD, and we can move right ahead to start
to get things done.

It's your choice how you want to spend your time...