monolithic

Nikolay Pavlov qpadla at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 02:11:34 PST 2007

On Tuesday 13 November 2007 08:36:36 Albert Meyburgh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read that freebsd is monolithic.  Is that still true?
>
> If I wanted to add functionality like device drivers, or maybe my own
> tcp/ip stack, (or maybe add the facility to allow modules) do I have
> to download the entire source and add it in there?
>
> nothing available like a kernel module in linux? (which afaik you can
> attach at runtime)
>

> also when I add packages using the ports system, then remove them, are
> they completely gone or are there still random conf files / misc..
> laying around slowly bloating the hdd
>
> also is there a way to scan for unused packages somehow and list them

Hi Albert. Probably you should read this FAQ:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.html
And visit a documentation page: http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html. In any
case freebsd-questions is much better place to find an answer for such
questions.

- Best regards, Nikolay Pavlov. <<<-----------------------------------