RFC: Removing file(1)+libmagic(3) from the base system

Gary Palmer gpalmer at freebsd.org
Wed May 23 18:29:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 09:38:46AM -0700, Colin Percival wrote:
> FreeBSD architects and file(1) maintainer,
>
> I'd like to remove file(1) and libmagic(3) from the FreeBSD base system
> for the following reasons:
> 1. I don't see it as being a necessary component of a UNIX-like operating
> system.
> 2. It's available in the ports tree.
> 3. Due to its nature as a program which parses multiple data formats, it
> poses an unusually high risk of having security problems in the future
> (cf. ethereal/wireshark).

Do either component do much parsing/reformatting of data?  The major
drawback to wireshark is that it has to accept <N> different formats and
display them in human readable form.  To do that it doesn't use a common
translation codebase with mapping files (which is what 'file' does), it
has <N> different binary parsers which each introduce their own
potential problems.  Unless I'm missing something, all
file/libmagic have to do is look for binary signitures in the file
that identify it as being of a specific type.

The scope for file may have creeped over the years, but I do not see
the functionality needed in file as being anywhere close to the song &
dance that wireshark goes through, and as such I am not sure I
agree with your comparison.

The "file" program has been around as a standard part of UNIX and UNIX
clones for a long time, and unless there is an endemic problem with
the way the code works I personally would not be supportive of this move.