Porting OpenBSD's sysctl hw.sensors framework to FreeBSD

Thu Jul 12 07:02:26 UTC 2007

Quoting John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> (from Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:45:26 -0400):

> On Wednesday 11 July 2007 07:49:59 am Alexander Leidinger wrote:

>> On the other hand you don't want to allow an userland tool to directly
>> mess around with the registers on your RAID or NIC to get some status...
>
> Err, that's how all the RAID utilities I've used work.  They send firmware
> commands from userland and parse the replies in userland.  One exception I've

That's sad... they should provide this functionality in the driver
instead, it would allow to use access restrictions for some parts.

> seen so far is that for software RAID the firmware you are talking to is the
> driver, not firmware on the card, so you use ioctls directly rather than an
> ioctl that sends a command to the firmware on the card.

But you have to run this tool as root, don't you? You don't want to
let a user run such a tool (and nowadays even desktops start to have
RAID, so whoever sits at the machine may be interested to see some
status on his desktop).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
CCI Power 6/40: one board, a megabyte of cache, and an attitude...