Adding better database support to the base system

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Dec 27 18:26:05 PST 2007

On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 02:10:58PM -0500, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>Currently the only available DB support in the base system is Berkeley
>DB (1.x) there are several items that would benefit from migrating
>something like minisql into the base system.   The most immediate
>application that comes to mind is enabling some interesting features
>for the ports system.  Therefor I purpose migrating some minimal
>RDBM's features into the base system.

Firstly, minisql (mSQL) is a non-starter because of its license.

Secondly, you haven't provided any justification for the inclusion of
an RDBMS in the base system.  In general, the base system only
contains tools necessary to build and manage the base system.  In
order to add this to the base system, you need to justify both why an
RDBMS is needed and why it can't be a port.

Thirdly, this topic has been thrashed out recently and I suggest you
review that thread before continuing.

--
Peter Jeremy