Please think architecture...

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Aug 29 10:02:01 PDT 2007

My new laptop is a Fujitsu-Siemens and when I load the acpi_fujitsu,
some new sysctls appear:

	hw.acpi.fujitsu.lcd_brightness: 4
	hw.acpi.fujitsu.lcd_brightness_radix: 8

But these are named wrong, they should be:

	hw.backlight.brightness: 4
	hw.backlight.brightness_radix: 8

or something like it.

Backlighting is not a vendor specific feature, all laptops with LCD
displays have it.

If generic stuff like that end up under vendor-specific branches,
we will never grow generic tools to handle backlightning but will
instead have a tool for each vendor or a maddening list like the
lists of SCSI controllers in devd.conf:

        set scsi-controller-regex
                "(aac|adv|adw|aha|ahb|ahc|ahd|aic|amd|amr|asr|bt|ciss|ct|dpt|\
                esp|ida|iir|ips|isp|mlx|mly|mpt|ncr|ncv|nsp|stg|sym|trm|wds)\
                [0-9]+";

Please don't turn FreeBSD into a nightmare of fragmented bits, just like
Linux.