now GNU readline (was Re: Subversion? )

pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 16:17:21 PST 2006

--- Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> ha scritto:

> GNU readline is required by other GNU software in the tree (like gdb).
> We have our own line-editing library (editline) which should be used
> for all non-GNU software.  ISTR that Vinum is the only non-GNU
> software in our tree that uses readline instead of editline, but this
> may have changed.

There is an additional header in NetBSD's editline for readline compatibility
that we are not installing by default. NetBSD also has Vinum and I think they
got rid of readline a while ago too so we can probably do without it.

For those wondering why getting rid of the useful GNU readline is important or
desirable at all: it's a library but it's covered by the GPL (not the LGPL),
meaning it has the ability to "poison" everything that is linked with it.

cheers,

    Pedro.