Subversion? (Re: HEADS UP: Importing csup into base)

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Sat Mar 4 09:38:06 PST 2006

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 12:11:24PM -0500, Chris BeHanna wrote:

> 	And, as I recall, at the time, subversion's ability to manage
> branches in a lightweight fashion was just not there.
>
> 	How is it now?  If it still cannot compare to Perforce, then it's
> likely a non-starter.
>
> 	My employer has a fairly large Perforce installation going, and
> every now and again, someone rolls out the open source replacement
> bikeshed, but it runs right into the "can it handle our branched
> development model?" brick wall and stops, dead.

I don't know how lightweight branches are, but GCC has jumped
from cvs to svn for all its development.

kargl[209] svn ls svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches | wc -l
     143

The transition occurred in 3 steps: (a) someone step the initial
svn repo; (b) main developed continued in cvs while the svn repo
was made available for testing [ie., kinks worked out].  This
was about a 1 month period; (c) GCC abruptly switch from cvs to
svn on a specific day.  A handy little wiki to get familiar with
svn is http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SvnHelp.

--
Steve