Any reason for no ostrip?

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Thu Oct 6 01:57:25 PDT 2005

All,

I've been missing the ostrip terminal option for quite a while.
Frankly, it is of use mostly to Cyrillic users because our main
Unix encoding, KOI8, has a funny property: It can be readable if
mapped to US-ASCII by stripping the high bit, so if you happen to
land at a terminal w/o Cyrillic support, you still can read your
mail if you manage to strip the 8th bit off.  Unfortunately, far
from all terminals, hardware as well as software, have an option
to strip the 8th bit.  Since we have istrip already, adding ostrip
would be just complementary.  Any objections?

--
Yar