"Kernel" dumps.

Xin LI delphij at frontfree.net
Wed Jan 12 07:23:16 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 02:19:50PM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> Hi.
>
> We need improve our dumps, really.
>
> First of all they are too big, because we dump whole memory.
> Second of all, they are not safe for our users.
>
> We should implement two things:
>
> - dumping only kernel pages (dump is smaller and without sensitive data
>   from userland processes);
> - add a malloc(9) flag M_NOUMP which will prevent from dumping
>   pages with sensitive data (e.g. GBDE keys).
>
> Any VM-skilled volunteers? Pretty please...

A friend of mine has recently implemented a ``mini-dump'', which is
primarly a conceptional implementation that I need to do some clean-ups
on my spare time.  I think in order to have a successful ``kernel dump''
we need to keep least dependency on VM structures (and allow users to
switch to a full dump when need).

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.