FreeBSD: Monolithic Kernel or Microkernel?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 5 17:42:09 PST 2005

On Saturday,  5 February 2005 at 20:39:21 -0500, Nicholas Ink wrote:
> Hi.
> 	I've heard conflicting reports about the true nature of FreeBSD's
> kernel and whether it is a microkernel or a monolithic kernel.  Does
> anybody know which it definitively is

It's monolithic.  It is possible to add separate modules ("kernel
loadable modules"), but that doesn't change the overall structure.

> and where on the FreeBSD website I can find out more about this
> topic?

It's possible that that is missing.   I certainly can't point to
anything there.

Greg