c99/c++ localised variable definition

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Tue Feb 1 15:04:43 PST 2005

Paul Richards wrote this message on Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:04 +0000:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 10:06:24AM -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > Paul Richards wrote this message on Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:26 +0000:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > I think the loop usage though is one clear example where it is
> > > clearer. I think there are others as well; where the usage of the
> > > variable is clearly localised it is much easier to see a local
> > > definition than to have to jump back and forth to find out what
> > > variables are.
> >
> > I personally think it isn't.  One thing that I do in python all to
> > regularly (because it lacks variable declarations), is attempt to do:
> > 	for i in foo:
> > 		for j in bar:
> > 			for i in baz:
>
> That would work fine with c99.

Depends upon your definition of working fine.. :)  it doesn't work fine
if you do:
	for i in foo:
		for j in bar:
			for i in baz:
				pass
		print i

When the print i is suppose to return the element from foo, not baz,
because you later added baz because of fixing another bug..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579