splitting off RPC and friends

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Fri Aug 26 22:01:11 GMT 2005

On Aug 26, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

>  I'm not sure how many users are actually using
> NIS, though.

For sites that run a mix of routable and RFC 1918 networks, NIS is
still quite commonly used to serve up the host names for the 1918
side of the network. Poor man's split DNS if you like. (In fact, I'll
be installing yet another one of these setups this weekend.)

And then there are the NIS-based maps for the automounter.

RPC and NIS are alive and well, and aren't going away any time soon.

--lyndon